I have had the privilege of speaking at a few forums recently including the chance to get up in front of young professionals and students about my career in HR to date.
Usually I get quite a few enquiries about my drive, determination and passion for all things HR and what is my secret to finding success at such a young age. I’ve found it quite hard to answer these questions. But obviously I was not the only one.
After I watched this video on my lunchtime inspiration session it all clicked. I knew I had passion and ideas but I couldn’t explain the rest until now.
- Passion: Once I found HR it wasn’t work anymore, it wasn’t about picking the major with the most money. It was using my ideas to ensure that in a nutshell workplaces were sustainable and workforces were sustained
- Work: I have big plans to really shake up HR as we know it. But I know that it is going to take nothing but hard work. As Guy Kawasaki said “Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.” I’m up for it
- Focus: I’m focused to become known the world over as The HRockstar. The kid who really redefined what modern day HR is. Try and stop me!
- Persist: Bring on the CRAP as Richard St. John puts it. I’ll see you on the otherside of it.
- Ideas: I am full of them, hundreds come through daily. But I am now ready to start shipping my ideas both within my organisations and to the wider industry.
- Good: This goes with my work ethic. I found my HR passion at 20 years of age. That is a hell of a long time to get good at it. But I’m starting now and I’ve hit the ground running by reading, listening, watching and doing as much as I can related to HR, people and business
- Push: I’ve pushed myself through lots of challenging situations from the self-doubt of not thinking I was cut out for university to pushing myself into new cities and industries to build new networks away from my HR circle
- Serve: This is what I try to do with my presentations, with this blog and with an upcoming business I’m starting. To serve the HR industry and young students by helping them connect with their passion and by mentoring them on how to crush it in the business world and the hidden job market
If you are reading this with self doubt about your career, your studies or your current job rewatch the video and visualize each one of the 8 words and have a think about whether or not your current path is checking each one of those 8 boxes. If it’s not and you want some coaching around it I know of some great career coaches or I can personally sit down or virtually sit down and talk these things out, email me at damon dot klotz @ gmail dot com
This has been a timely post as I am speaking again in two weeks at a forum about young HR professionals in the workforce and I now finally have some concrete reasoning behind the tour de force that is The HRockstar.